Monday, July 7, 2008

Review : The 19th Wife

The 19th Wife: A Novel by David Ebershoff. Random House (2008).

Though the release of The 19th Wife is well-timed due to the recent national exposure of the Texas FLDS sect, the strength of Ebershoff's storytelling stands on its own. He seamlessly weaves two stories into a cohesive whole. His mastery of his art is apparent in his ability to effortlessly transition between two very different voices separated by more than a century but connected by the thread of polygamy and the destructive force it plays in the lives of men, women and children. Ebershoff sprinkles subtle clues throughout his narrative about how these two stories will become one, but never gives too much. I found myself eagerly awaiting the turn of each page. This is a brilliant book. I would recommend it to any reader.

(Originally posted on LibraryThing, May 16, 2008)

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your review! I just reviewed this book here. I'm definitely keeping an eye out for his other novels now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went out and bought The Danish Girl after reading The 19th Wife, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'm looking forward to it though.

    ReplyDelete