Monday, July 7, 2008

Review : Child 44

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith. Grand Central Publishing (2008).

Set during 1950s Soviet Russia, Child 44 grimly depicts the reality faced by Russian citizens under the rule of Stalin. I was sometimes disturbed by the scenes, but appreciate the research and historical accuracy Smith integrates into his narrative. I felt I was granted an insider's view of this time in Russia's history and the struggles of its people.

Tom Rob Smith has created a wonderful first novel. His ability to weave seemingly disparate elements into a cohesive narrative is impressive. I kept reading simply because I wanted to know how it was all going to come together. I would recommend this to any mystery fan. Of all the recent books of this genre I have read, this is by far the best.

(Originally posted on LibraryThing, June 27, 2008)

1 comment:

  1. Oohh...another good review of this book! I've put it on my bookmooch wishlist.

    You might want to check out this other review...Raych is very entertaining! http://booksidoneread.blogspot.com/2008/07/child-44-tom-rob-smith.html

    ReplyDelete