Monday, July 7, 2008

One of My Favorite Authors

Nick Hornby is one of my favorite authors and a fellow book addict. His fiction is highly readable, his subjects contemporary. For the most part, he writes what he knows. Anyone can relate to his characters despite being their English by nationality.

I love his essays on books equally. Two collections of his essays from The Believer magazine have been published. His insights on reading are spot on. Plus, it's nice to know that even a celebrated author has a tendency to buy more books than he can consume. Just as interesting as his thoughts on what he has read is a comparison of what he has bought in a month to what he actually reads that month and the next.

If you are a fan of contemporary fiction or the reading habits of others, I highly recommend any of Nick Hornby's books.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of Nick Hornby as well, but I really didn't like How To Be Good. Have you read that one?

    Nice blog, found you on LT, I'm at http://skrishnasbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi S. Krishna,

    I have read How To Be Good and agree it isn't his best. Maybe it was the subject matter, but I didn't love it like some of the others.

    I think my current fave of his is Long Way Down. Did you read that one?

    Thanks! I'm all about looking at other peoples blogs right now to get ideas so I'll definitely check yours out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How to be Good is on my TBR pile. Should I be worried?

    ReplyDelete
  4. loopyloo100 -

    I don't think you have reason to be worried. How To Be Good is still in Hornby's typical style. The themes he addresses in this one just didn't resonate as much with me. I'm sure you've read the cover description so I think it is safe to say that these are marriage and religion.

    I wouldn't discount this one just because of what's been said here. Please, give it a try and judge for yourself! My criticism is completely personal--nothing to do with the quality of the book.

    ReplyDelete