Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Review : Confessions of a Contractor

Confessions of a Contractor by Richard Murphy. G. P. Putnam's Sons (2008).

I'm not normally a fan of books where the narrator talks directly to me, giving me advice (in this case about remodeling my home), but Confessions of a Contractor grew on me. Author Richard Murphy cashes in on the home improvement/remodeling craze by combining his own years of real experience with a fictional look at two clients of his main character, contractor Henry Sullivan. I seem to be getting a lot of books with themes of troubled marriages and infidelity right now, and this one was fun to read. Henry gets caught up in the drama of two former friends, Sally, a single forty-something, and Rebecca, whose marriage is rapidly failing. Along the way, he falls for them both and lets his own life slide as he tries to unravel the mystery of their shared past. Eventually, he does and then manages to right the drifting ship of his life. There isn't a great deal of substance to the story or Henry Sullivan, but he is likable and amusing. If you are looking for a fun, easy read (and some remodeling tips), give Confessions of a Contractor a try.

9 comments:

  1. This book sounds like a lot of fun to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking my hubby might enjoy this one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review.This sounds like a book that a lot of people would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun, light read - especially as my husband and I have been starting odd projects around the house lately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been hearing a lot about this book and your review is great. Please enter me to win this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say, when I first heard about this book, I thought it was absolutely not my cup of tea. As I've read more people's reviews, however, I've been wanting to read it more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard some good reviews about this book, sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need something light every once in a while so this definitely something I will try.

    ReplyDelete