Thursday, October 9, 2008

Booking through Thursday





What was the last book you bought?
Hmm, I've been buying mostly used books lately. One of the books from my last used bookstore pilgrimage was All the President's Men.

Name a book you have read MORE than once
I've read all the Harry Potter books (except the last one) more than once. My memory required it from book release to book release. I tend to not go back to things that much otherwise. I have reread some of my childhood faves in recent years including From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and The Phantom Tollbooth.

Has a book ever fundamentally changed the way you see life? If yes, what was it?
The one piece of writing that has really influenced my outlook on life is Desiderata by Max Ehrmann, a fellow Hoosier.

How do you choose a book? eg. by cover design and summary recommendations or reviews
In a bookstore, I'm typically attracted to covers first. Then I read the blurb and maybe the first couple of pages to see if I really want to read it. I also use LibraryThing and all the other great book blogs out there to look for things I might be interested in. There are several authors that I will buy any book they publish--Nick Hornby and Erik Larson to name just two.

I'm a total sucker for author talks so I frequently buy books of authors I'm able to see in person and have sign my book.

Do you prefer Fiction or Non-Fiction?
Fiction, though I go through phases.

What's more important in a novel - beautiful writing or a gripping plot?
Definitely plot. If an author can't keep that together, it doesn't really matter how beautifully written it is.

Most loved/memorable character (character/book)
This is so hard! I love books with great character development so it is just impossible to pick one.

Which book or books can be found on your nightstand at the moment?
Ha, well until about an hour ago I would have said Descartes' Bones! I'm planning to pick up Veil of Lies next.

What was the last book you've read, and when was it?
The last book I read (and finished) was The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell. I finished it earlier this week.

Have you ever given up on a book half way in?
Several times. I never made it through Great Expectations or Don Quixote in high school. Recently, I gave up on The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher. If I'm not enjoying it, I'm not going to punish myself. I have so many other books to read!

5 comments:

  1. I had to reread the Harry Potters each time a new one came out. I remembered a lot, but I felt like I would enjoy the next book if the others were fresher in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree Traci. I never trusted my memory to keep track of everything that was important and wanted to get the most out of each new book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED *From the Mixed-Up Files ...* and *The Phantom Tollbooth*! I was happy to be able to get some of my favorites for my own kids.

    I haven't re-read the HP books, but I enjoyed them the first time around.

    Now my TBR stack is so high I don't have the luxury of time to re-read anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm surprised you couldn't finish The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher! I loved that book (although I have yet to review it). What about it did you not like?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Avis - You can check out my review here. It just wasn't what I expected as you'll see in the review.

    ReplyDelete