Sunday, October 5, 2008

Review : The Gifted Gabaldon Sisters

The Gifted Gabaldon Sisters by Lorraine Lopez. Grand Central Publishing (2008).
[released October 1]

The Gifted Gabaldon Sisters is a beautiful tale beautifully told. It is the story of Bette, Loretta, Rita and Sophie, four sisters who are inherently different yet share a common bond. This bond is an overwhelming desire to understand Fermina, the family housekeeper, and the gifts she said they would receive following her death. Each sister struggles to understand and control the gift she thinks Fermina has bestowed upon her. Lopez follows each sister through the twenty-year search for answers and allows the reader to share in their triumphs and bemoan their failures. Finally, the sister come together to learn the truth. The Gifted Gabaldon Sisters is a touching tale of family and finding one's role within it. Lopez has a true flair for words that lets the reader become part of the story.

16 comments:

  1. This sounds really good - I've added it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was already on my wish list, but this review just makes me want to read it more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I really want to win this book. really nice review

    florida982002@yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know if my earlier comment counts towards an entry, so I thought I'd post another! I love stories about sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds like a lot of fun. It really makes you curious what their gifts are.

    akreese (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds intriguing to me for all sorts of reasons! I love family novels that span many years so that we get to see the characters evolve...

    Thanks for hosting this...

    ReplyDelete
  7. oops -- here's my e-mail address:

    agjuba at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love stories about sisters. And that's one beautiful cover isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I blogged about it here:

    http://athomewithbooks.blogspot.com/2008/10/weekly-giveaway-roundup_08.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another intriguing review that compels me to add another book to my booklist. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds beautiful. I'm always fascinated with stories about siblings since I'm an only child.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the review. This book sounds really good and it's nice to hear more information about it. It's on my list!

    5wrights1@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a very good book!

    kerin0874 (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review. I would like to enter to win.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so great; I'm fired up to read it!
    doot65{at}comcast[dot]net
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your review -- enough to get me interested but not giving anything away! I've added this to my TBR list.

    geebee.reads AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete