Thursday, October 9, 2008

my failure

Descartes' Bones by Russell Shorto. Doubleday (2008).
[to be released October 14, 2008]

Okay, so this book is completely outside my norm, but the idea of following someone's bones across centuries of history sounded interesting. So I requested it even though I shouldn't have. I find myself unable to fight my way through the history of philosophy so I've given up...my failure.

I think someone with a greater interest in philosophy would really enjoy this book. I can't really write a review though. I'll let the New York Times take it from here.

Here's another review from Booklorn, who enjoyed the book.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link. I'm sorry you couldn't get into it. I have a particular interest in the conflict between faith and science as well as philosophy in general so it appealed to me. I do have to agree with the NYT review you linked to that there is a bit of a rambling nature to the book. But when you cover 350 years of history in 320 pages that comes with the territory.

    ReplyDelete