Saturday, November 1, 2008

Review : Chasing Elvis

Chasing Elvis by Glenn P. Marcel. Invisible College Press (2004).

The premise of Chasing Elvis sounded interesting to me...a bank robbed by a man dressed as Elvis, another man obsessed with finding Elvis, the daughter who picks up the robber's trail 20 years later, and the possibility the robber really was Elvis. However, in all honesty, I was tempted to stop reading by page 8. The writing seemed awful and the plot in danger of becoming too slapstick. I managed to keep reading and felt it improved over the course of the book, especially once you get to Chapter 9 and the present day. Marcel develops several story lines throughout the book, but with too few clues along the way to indicate them coming together in the end. I finally decided to read each as if it were unrelated to the others. Chasing Elvis became much more interesting to me after making that decision.

Some of Marcel's characters are interesting and have realistic problems. On the other hand, his writing sometimes turns into a public service announcement about issues like plastic surgery and drug use. The various plot lines do eventually come together though a bit late and a bit loosely for my tastes. While Marcel manages to create a few good moments, I wouldn't recommend you read this book. Save your time for a better written and more well constructed novel.

Thanks to Mini Book Expo for sending me this book.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up. I'll avoid this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Defintely. I'm amazed that this is his 4th or 5th novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, I'm sorry to hear this book was a dud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this book too and wasn't all that crazy about it:

    http://www.purple4mee.com/2008/09/book-chasing-elvis-2004-glenn-p-marcel.html

    ReplyDelete