Thursday, November 13, 2008

Review : We Interrupt This Broadcast

We Interrupt This Broadcast: The Events That Stopped Our Lives...from the Hindenberg Explosion to the Virginia Tech Shootings by Joe Garner. Sourcebooks (2008).

First, a confession: I love Sourcebooks. I think the idea of combining text with related audio is brilliant. I already own two: The Spoken Word Revolution and My Fellow Americans: The Most Important Speeches of America's Presidents. When the opportunity to review We Interrupt This Broadcast came my way, I jumped at it. Many of the included events happened before I was born or very young, but the author, Joe Garner, provides historical context for the broadcasts. Hearing the actual broadcasts takes you back in time--even if you were never there. As far as I'm concerned, Sourcebooks has hit another homerun when it comes to bringing history to life. If you have an interest in history, journalism, or remember these events firsthand, I highly recommend We Interrupt This Broadcast.

A sampling of events:
- Pearl Harbor Under Attack
- V-E Day: War in Europe Ends
- Sputnik Launced by Soviets
- Marilyn Monroe Dies
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Assassinated
- Kent State Massacre
- Elvis Dies
- The Challenger Explodes
- Rodney King Verdict Incites Riots
- Oklahoma City Bombing
- Princess Diana Dies
- Tragedy at Columbine High School
- Hurricane Katrina Floods New Orleans

3 comments:

  1. An interesting way to learn history and get a feel for the times. I was present to hear them announced, except for the first two. It takes one back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it a book? audio? both?

    You are clearly taken by *We Interrupt This Broadcast*!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a book and audio. The book provides the historical context for the original broadcasts contained on the 3 accompanying CDs. Sourcebooks are great!

    ReplyDelete