Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Review : Etta

Etta by Gerald Kolpan. Ballantine Books (March 24, 2009)

What amazing imagination and skill Gerald Kolpan has! He has artfully created an entire life for the nearly unknown Etta Place, a compatriot of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Kolpan used the known timeline of real-life people to create a rich, fascinating story of love and adventure, but little to none of the detail is true. I had to constantly remind myself of this while reading. I imagine the real Etta Place would love for this to be her true life story. If you aren't a fan of westerns, don't let that deter you. This book is far more than a western. It's a beautiful tale about a remarkable woman, and the best historical fiction I've read since The 19th Wife. I would recommend this book to any reader.

1 comment:

  1. I love fiction that is so well written I have to remind myself it's not true.

    ReplyDelete