Thursday, June 24, 2010

heading to ALA...

I leave tomorrow for the American Library Association's Annual Conference. It's in Washington, DC this year, which is one of my favorite cities. Around meetings and programs, I'm hoping to find time to visit a few sites, including the...

Smithsonian Folklife Festival - This was one of my favorite events when I was lucky enough to live in DC for a summer internship.

World War II Memorial - This memorial is new since the last time I was in DC. All of the veterans' memorials on the mall are amazing and moving so I'm looking forward to experiencing this one.

Paper Engineering: Fold, Pull, Pop and Turn @ National Museum of American History - I just heard about this exhibit featuring movable book art thanks to the AL Direct newsletter from ALA. Another must see added to the list! The Museum is open until 7:30pm during the conference EXCEPT on June 26 when it closes at 5:30pm

Thank goodness a lot of DC's attractions are accessible past 5pm. All the monuments on the Mall are viewable 24/7 with Park Rangers and tours available pretty late into the evening. So no excuses, librarians! Make the most of your time in the nation's capital.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, that paper engineering show sounds fabulous! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete