Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Art crime recommendations

I recently asked for recommendations to supplement my current art crime TBR list. Suggestions could extend into other areas of cultural crime, including maps and books. I received two recommendations and wanted to share them with you.

The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover Bartlett

The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History by Robert Edsel

Have you read either? Do you think they make good additions to my list? Do you have other recommendations? I'd love to hear your comments.

Note: People have asked if recommendations have to be non-fiction. They do not. If you have fiction suggestions that fit the bill, send them my way!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read the ones you mentioned but I've heard fairly good things about The Man Who Loved Books Too Much.

    As for other suggestions, I don't know if they fit "crime" so much as mystery, but if you like young adult/middle grade fiction, Blue Balliet wrote a really cute series of books Chasing Vermeer, The Wright 3, and The Calder Game; which focus on a group of kids solving mysteries dealing with the works of Johannes Vermeer, Frank Lloyd Wright, and Alexander Calder, respectively.

    Also, if you don't mind reading independent authors The Muse of Edouard Manet is really good. Again, it's more art mystery than art crime, but it's a great story if you like art history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read The Man Who Loved Books Too Much. I actually didn't like it nearly as much as some people seemed to.

    Are you looking specifically for nonfiction? Would Flawless: Inside the Largest Diamond Heist in History qualify?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started Doors Open, by Ian Rankin and so far I am enjoying it. But it is fiction, not sure if that matters. I too have heard good things about The Man Who Loves Books Too Much. I have a copy here waiting to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your recommendations, everyone! This is turning into a great reading list.

    I read the first in the Balliet series during my children's lit class and enjoyed it. I should read the others.

    I'll definitely add Flawless to my list. Even though it isn't exactly what I had in mind, it sounds like a great read.

    I've enjoyed Ian Rankin in the past and this fits right in! This may be the next read from my "cultural crime" list.

    ReplyDelete