Monday, October 4, 2010

55 quirky questions for readers : part 2

Lydia at The Literary Lollipop created a questionnaire of 55 quirky questions for readers, and I thought it would be fun to share my answers here. I'm breaking it down into more manageable chunks, so here are the second 10 questions and answers. If you missed my first 10 answers, you can find them here.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone? While I have expanded my reading horizons since I started blogging, I still stick to general themes and genres that I know I will enjoy. I fear that straying too far out of my comfort zone could result in unfair reviews.

12. What is your reading comfort zone? My favorites are mysteries, thrillers, historical fiction and what I like to call bibliolit. Bibliolit is fiction that somehow features books, booksellers or other elements of book culture.

13. Can you read on the bus? Unfortunately, I tend to get motion sickness, so I don't read in moving vehicles.

14. Favorite place to read: The Carport Cafe. That's what we affectionately call our carport. It's like a second living room when the weather is nice.

15. What's your policy on book lending? As an only child, I tend to be pretty protective of my stuff. I will lend books only to people I know well and trust to take care of them.

16. Do you dogear your books? I used to, but my library/preservation training broke me of that habit.

17. Do you write notes in the margins of your books? See answer to 16.

18. Do you break/crack the spine of your books? NO!!!

19. What is your favorite language to read? English. My years of French training have faded, so I can't really make it through a French novel anymore.

20. What makes you love a book? Quality writing, interesting characters, and a well-crafted plot. If the plot doesn't make sense, I probably won't make it through the book. This is especially true for mysteries and thrillers.

3 comments:

  1. I can't bear to crack a spine either. Recently, I saw someone reading and they had the front cover completely pulled around to the back cover and it just made me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the term bibliolit :)
    I like to read things about books, reading, etc..too.
    The only moving thing that I can read on is an airplane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, TheBookGirl!

    I forgot about planes...I can read on them too! :)

    ReplyDelete