Thursday, October 7, 2010

55 quirky questions for readers : part 3

Lydia at The Literary Lollipop created a questionnaire of 55 quirky questions for readers, and I thought it would be fun to share my answers here. I'm breaking it down into more manageable chunks, so here are questions 21-30.

Miss some of my earlier answers?
part 1
part 2

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book? If I think a book is truly wonderful, I will recommend it to anyone and everyone. If I think a particular book fits well with the interests of a particular person, I'll pass it along.

22. Favorite genre: Do I have to pick just one? Well then, I'd have to say mysteries.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did): Biography. There are people I would like to read about, but I can never seem to make myself read a biography. For instance, I've had the Ted Kennedy autobiography, True Compass, checked out of the library for months.


24. Favorite biography: Ha! I didn't see this before writing my previous answer. :) Um, let's see. Does Confessions of a Dangerous Mind count?


25. Have you ever read a self-help book? (And, was it actually helpful?) Yes. I went through a self-help / spirituality book phase in my late teens / early twenties. I did find some of the books helpful and have held onto them just to protect the notes I left in the margins (back when I wrote in the margins).

26. Favorite cookbook: I don't cook.

27. Most inspirational book you've read this year (fiction or non-fiction): Another hard one. Actually, I'm reading Désirée: The Bestselling Story of Napoleon's First Love right now, and Désirée is kind of inspirational. She endures a lot throughout her life - lost love, separation from husband and child, war - and still carries on. Despite her fear, she never gives up.



28. Favorite reading snack: A cup of tea and some sort of sweet.

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience: The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher. Everyone seemed to love this book, and the hype made me think I would too. Unfortunately, I couldn't even finish it. Here's my long ago review.


30. How often do you agree with the critics about a book? I tend not to read too many reviews, especially before I read a book. I don't want to be disappointed after reading overly positive reviews or deterred from reading a book I think I might like by a negative review. I also want to be sure I'm writing my own thoughts when I write my review. I tend to go on brief recommendations from other blogs or my Twitter friends. I also consult the ratings on LibraryThing. I'm more likely to agree with those assessments than the big critics.

0 comments:

Post a Comment