Tuesday, October 19, 2010

55 quirky questions for readers : part 5

Lydia at The Literary Lollipop created a questionnaire of 55 quirky questions for readers, and I thought it would be fun to share my answers here. Here is the final installment of 15 questions.


41. The longest I've gone without reading: I took a pretty lengthy hiatus last year. I wasn't reading much at all. Mostly because I was feeling guilty reading for pleasure when I had so much reading to do for work.

42. Name a book you could/would not finish: Descartes Bones by Russell Shorto. As I said in my "review," I failed miserably with this book. But it was me, not the book. I'm confident some would find it fascinating.


43. What distracts you easily when you are reading? Not much, but if there are really loud voices around, either live or on TV, I sometimes can't block them out.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel: The Hours by Michael Cunningham. I actually preferred the movie to the book, which is very rare for me.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation: I'm generally disappointed by film adaptations. It seems nearly impossible for a filmmaker to do a book justice.

46. Most money I've ever spent in a bookstore at one time: Ooh, that's a dangerous question. I've blocked out the real answer, but I'm sure I've spent upwards of $100 in one go before.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it? Never! I'm scared to ruin the actual reading.

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book halfway through? Huge plot flaws or poorly written characters. If the plot doesn't make sense or I don't care about the characters, I typically can't finish.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized? Yes, as much as possible. However, I'm in dire need of another bookshelf right now, so my organization is starting to falter.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once they've been read? It depends on the book. If I really enjoy it, I keep it. Otherwise, I give it away or sell it at Half-Price Books.

51. Are there any books that you've been avoiding? Not consciously. There are several classics I feel like I should read, but just haven't gotten around to it. Books like...


52. Name a book that made you angry: I can't think of a book that made me really angry, though I'm sure one has. I was most recently annoyed by Jonathan Santlofer's Kate McKinnon series. It didn't live up to my expectations, and the main character was frustratingly slow at putting together the clues.

53. A book you didn't expect to like but did: I wasn't expecting to like Darling Jim, but loved it. I started it just after getting it from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers and couldn't get through the somewhat gruesome opening scene. When I finally tried it again a year later, I flew through it. It is a wonderful book. You can read my review here.


54. A book you did expect to like but didn't: I think I mentioned this book in an early question, but I have to say The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher. This book sounded perfect for me, but I couldn't even get through it. Major disappointment.


55. Favorite guilt-free guilty pleasure reading: I used to feel guilty reading mass market series books, but I've found a couple that I really love, so now it's guilt free. If you are looking for a good series, try out The Camel Club or the Cotton Malone series.


Well, that's it! I'd love to hear some of your answers to the 55 Quirky Questions for Readers. Comment away!

3 comments:

  1. You shouldn't feel guilty about anything you read! I can't remember I time when I didn't read. I need to read a little while before I go to bed, otherwise I can't sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, put To Kill a Mockingbird on the top of the pile! Then watch the film with Gregory Peck. The book is better (as usual) but the film is nostalgically good.
    I found you by following Scott Nicholson's tour and thought you might be at Illinois where my niece just finished her work. I'm in Ohio so I look forward to the snow coming, as you do, though I will be pleased for the change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the play of To Kill a Mockingbird. I think that's why I haven't read the book...scared of the emotion.

    ReplyDelete