Monday, October 25, 2010

Bookish place : The Book Loft


Last Monday, I went to Brown County for my yearly pilgrimage to see the beautiful fall leaves and explore the quaint shops lining the streets of Nashville, Indiana. The Book Loft is a small bookstore specializing in Indiana-related books. The bulk of the store contains new titles about Indiana and fiction by Indiana authors. In addition to the wonderful Indiana non-fiction, fiction, and children's books, the store keeps a small selection of non-Indiana classics and popular literature. Point of interest: Most of the non-Indiana literature seemed to be by female authors...coincidence?

Shelf of non-Indiana titles

And for those lovers of used / collectible books, there are small sections of used paperbacks and hardbacks. The paperbacks didn't appear to have a theme, but a lot of the hardbacks were Indiana- or Midwest-related. I saw a great edition of Will Carleton's Farm Ballads that I've been kicking myself for not buying.


If you happen to be driving through beautiful Brown County, Indiana, and fancy learning a little more about the state, drop into The Book Loft. I'm sure you'll be able to find something of interest that will enhance your knowledge of the great state of Indiana.

5 comments:

  1. I go down there every other year for the IU/Purdue football game and we almost always stay in Nashville. I'll have to check it out next time we're down there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could turn you on to The Book Loft!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting concept for a store! I'm not sure there are enough authors in my state to fill up a bookstore with their books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks and sounds like a lovely place...I'm curious if the store owner is a woman, given your comment that most of the non-Indiana related material was authored by women...also, who would you say is the most famous author from Indiana?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure about the owner, but there was an older gentleman working when I was there.

    I would say Kurt Vonnegut is probably the most famous Indiana author.

    ReplyDelete