Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday : Books I'll Never Read


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.
This week's list is Top Ten Books I'll NEVER read.

iubookgirl's top ten (in no particular order):

1. any scary fiction by Stephen King
Being scared out of my wits is not my idea of a good time.

2. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Though it is a classic, I'll never read it. Great Expectations was assigned reading in high school, and it is the only assignment I didn't complete. I do not enjoy Charles Dickens.

3. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
It just sounds too heartbreaking for me to handle.

4. The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
It's a book I know I should read, but the thought of it grosses me out even though I don't eat meat.

5. The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
Give me a break. Norman Vincent Peale had this figured out in the 1950s. (And I'm sure someone else before him.)

6. The Shack by William P. Young
This book was astoundingly popular, but I have absolutely no intention of reading it.

7. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
I tried it once and didn't get very far...maybe page five.

8. Moby Dick by Herman Melville
I don't have much interest (okay, none at all) in the whaling business and don't fancy wading through explanations of it to find a plot.

9. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
I love the musical, but am completely intimidated by the heft of the book.

10. Marley and Me by John Grogan
No offense, but I could care less about your dog.

12 comments:

  1. Please reconsider The Kite Runner! It's heartbreaking, yes, but also uplifting and a wonderful view into Afghanistan.

    We have a few similar titles -- The Secret and The Shack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw man your missing out with Tale of Two Cities. I've never read Great Expectations, but Tale of Two Cities was very good! I'd have to agree with the rest of your list!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on The Kite Runner and The Secret. Actually, I should have put "self-help books" on my list, but it's too late now. Let's call it my no. 11.

    I enjoyed Moby Dick, but then I come from a whaling country and actually found the whole whaling descriptions fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I could have easily added Moby Dick to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about the Secret, I'm not into self help books either.
    Lol about the Marley comment! I thought the same thing when hearing about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why didn't I think of the Secret for my list! There is no way I'd ever read that, ha ha.

    Never read Moby Dick and probably won't...

    Nice list :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. *hi5* on the Dickens man, I said pretty much the same thing on my blog. Great Expectations in high school scarred me for life. I didn't finish it, either.

    The Secret is on my list, too, that book pissed me off a little, haha.

    To be fair to King (or maybe not fair) not all of his stuff is scary (even the stuff that's meant to be, lol), and some of it is actually pretty good as far as style and character building. Honestly, I'd recommend Night Shift (one of his short story collections) any day, because the best stories in there aren't horror at all. They're more tragedies, and they're actually pretty moving.

    lol, end pimpage. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had The Kite Runner out from the library for a couple of weeks now but I just haven't been able to bring myself to open it! It's probably really good but it just seems so depressing and I'm not sure if I can handle it atm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great list! I didn't like The Kite Runner at all. I found it much more boring and cliched than depressing, and the characters were really flat and unlikable. I thought the same thing about Marley and Me too! I usually don't like dog books. They get so sentimental and cheesy. And The Secret is such a load of mystic mumbo-jumbo. I can't believe people actually take it seriously. And yeah, Les Miserables totally intimidates me. I hope to read it someday, but it might take me awhile to work up the courage!

    - Emily @ Reading While Female

    ReplyDelete
  10. I listened to The Kite Runner on audio-book and it was fantastic. I'm glad I used that format because otherwise I'd have so much trouble with names of people and places. I never saw the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I won't ever read The Shack either, but I do want to read Marley and Me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I already read Moby Dick over the past summer of 2013. It was yet worth 583 pages of non-stop encyclopedic details of whaling and all about whales. It was so sad in the end that everyone on the Pequod all died while trying to catch the white whale. I was so confused and very intimidated about the plotline, but very excellent writing and complex detailing. Very well-done. About the Kite Runner, my mom holds onto the book until next year. What about Marley & Me? I'll never read a book because I already saw the movie once in my life so that's very sad. Th ending spoilers made me want to write it down on my life essay for college acceptance of scholarship. Les Miz... one of Mac's favorite musicals. My aunt Kirsten had a copy of the book, but it was very intimidating, long and very sad for me to go through. I guess it was very epic.

    ReplyDelete