Thursday, November 11, 2010

Readalong : The Princess Bride : The Movie


After wrapping up The Princess Bride readalong, I wanted to re-watch the movie. While the book was released in 1973, it didn't become a movie until 1987. William Goldman, the book's author, spent the intervening years trying to get the movie made, but bad luck seemed to follow the project.

I think the movie was destined to be made by Rob Reiner, who masterfully directed the perfect adaptation. There are, of course, differences between the book and movie. The timeline is condensed, the back story of the characters is truncated, and some settings change. Despite these differences, the soul of the piece is still there. I'm sure it helped having William Goldman himself do the screenplay.

The Princess Bride is a comedic fairy tale love story of the first order. The movie has stellar performances and the ideal happy ending. I still think you should definitely read the book, but, if nothing else, take 98 minutes to watch the movie.

Buy the Book, Buy the Movie

1 comment:

  1. I love this movie. I've never read the book though. I'll have to put it on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete