Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Special acquisitions edition

You may have noted in last Friday's Weekly Wrap-Up that I was planning to go to the library booksale. Well, I did much to the chagrin of my already overloaded bookshelves. My typical path through the sale is to hit the Indiana, Books about Books, and Mystery sections. I picked up some great things from each and wanted to share my new acquisitions with you!

Indiana Section:
Charmed Circle, Indianapolis 1895: A Mystery by Nancy Niblack Baxter
Indiana, Indiana by Laird Hunt
Indiana Winter by Susan Neville
The Prince of India, or How Constantinople Fell by Lew Wallace

Mystery Section:
The Third Secret by Steve Berry
Blue Heaven by C. J. Box
Looking Good Dead by Peter James
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Books About Books / Library Science Section:
Simple Library Cataloging (4th ed.) by Susan Grey Akers
The Triumph of the Thriller by Patrick Anderson
Books that Changed the World by Robert D. Bingham
Who the Hell is Pansy O'Hara?: The Fascinating Stories Behind 50 of the World's Best-Loved Books by Jenny Bond
Views and Reviews by Henry James
The Book of Lost Books by Stuart Kelly
Outwitting History by Aaron Lansky
Old Books, Rare Friends by Leona Rostenberg and Madeleine Stern
Books That Made the Difference: What People Told Us by Gordon and Patricia Sabine
Books and the Man by John T. Winterich
The Literature of Crime and Detection by Waltraud Woeller and Bruce Cassiday

Have you read any of these books? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of those titles, but I've heard The Historian is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list of finds!

    It's been a long time since I read Old Books, Rare Friends but I do remember thoroughly enjoying it. And The Historian was good too...although a trifle long. She could have shortened it and made it a better book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only one of these that I've read (or even heard of) is The Historian, but I thought it was really good! (Although I agree with Bev that it could have been edited down without losing anything.) I'd definitely say read it sooner rather than later, since it's good and creepy and deserves to be read on a night with bare branches beating against the window panes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read two of those: The Historian and The Third Secret.

    The Historian was good (I just finished it around Halloween) but it's kinda long and drags a bit in spaces.

    The Third Secret was one I really enjoyed. I then read a few other of Berry's books (he now has a series going, but the first three books were stand alone characters.) Third Secret was probably my favorite of them.

    ReplyDelete