Friday, November 26, 2010

Thankfully Reading Weekend : mini-challenge 1


The first Thankfully Reading Weekend Mini-Challenge from Jenn's Bookshelves is to answer the question "What  book are you most thankful for?" Here's my response.

I'm really thankful for books in general. They've played a huge role in my life. Some of my earliest memories are of my parents reading me bedtime stories. Once I was old enough to read for myself, my nose was always buried in a book. Now, as an adult, I'm still an avid reader and spend my days working in a library. All that is to say it's hard for me to pick one particular book for which I'm thankful. After much thought, I've decided to go with The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.


I spent of lot of years working my way through many books I didn't particularly enjoy reading as I went through college and then five years of graduate school. (Yes, grad school took me awhile, but I ended up with two masters degrees to show for it.) Needless to say, I was turned off reading for a little while, especially non-fiction. Larson's White City finally showed me that non-fiction doesn't have to be dry and dull. A truly gifted writer can weave non-fiction into a riveting story. Now I'm back to reading voraciously. I admit I still don't read a ton of non-fiction titles, but when I come across one that sounds interesting, I'll give it a whirl in the hopes of finding another writer than can spin history into a story that sticks with me. Erik Larson instilled this in me and gave me an enduring interest in crime non-fiction and the World's Fair. Thanks Mr. Larson for giving me the gift of The Devil in the White City.

Related Post:
an iubookgirl favorite

9 comments:

  1. That's a new one for me - I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have owned this book for a few years. I must rescue it from the depths of the unread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. The Devil in the White City is quite the memorable book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this but I will look into reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book has been on my want to read list for a long time. I'm not quite sure why I haven't read it yet. And I live in the Chicago area... no excuses really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another book for my TBR!

    Jennifer @ The Literate Housewife Review

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this book a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! This weekend is supposed to be about making the TBR pile smaller...you're not helping! :) Adding it to the pile...

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that Larson does a fabulous job of making non-fiction history as compelling as a novel. The Devil in the White City is a great book!

    ReplyDelete