Wednesday, December 1, 2010

iubookgirl's holiday favorites

It's December 1 and, for me, officially time to start thinking seriously about the holidays. There are a number of things, bookish or not, that help me get in the holiday spirit. I want to share a few of them with you in the hopes they will help you get in the holiday mood too.

My number one, all time favorite Christmas movie is White Christmas. I have fond memories of watching it with my parents every year around the holidays. Who can resist a feel good Christmas story, especially with such fabulous music?


Which brings me to my favorite Christmas-time singers, Rosemary Clooney and Bing Crosby. These crooners are the best for putting me in a holiday mood...maybe because they're both in White Christmas? The old standards they sing are sure to put you in a Christmas frame of mind too. My favorite is Bing Crosby singing Mele Kalikimaka. Weird, I know, but it's all about the memories.

Keeping to the White Christmas theme, another holiday goodie is White Christmas: The Story of an American Song by Jody Rosen.


However, if learning all about one of the best-known Christmas songs of all time isn't up your alley, you might enjoy The Christmas Almanac. It's a hodgepodge of all things Christmas-y in a pretty package.


Another precious childhood memory is watching Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer on TV. I now own the boxed set of these stop-motion animated holiday classics, which includes Rudolph, Santa Claus in Comin' to Town, and The Little Drummer Boy with Frosty the Snowman thrown in for good measure.


More recent holiday film favorites include The Holiday and Love Actually. If you haven't seen these movies, you should make them part of your holiday season.

And, of course, the number one thing to raise my holiday spirits is decorating the Christmas tree!

What helps put you in a holiday mood? I'd love to hear your suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. I greatly appreciated your post as the weather here this morning is dreary and depressing!

    I love White Christmas, and if you love Bing Crosby, do you also like Holiday Inn? That's another favorite.

    We always watched Miracle on 34th Street on Thanksgiving night as a way to get in the Christmas mood :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. White Christmas is also my favorite Christmas movie. It is not Christmas at our house until I (and whatever family members I can make sit down with me) have watched it. I crack up every time Bing Crosby & Danny Kaye dress up like "dames" and sing "Sisters."

    ReplyDelete