Thursday, December 2, 2010

Review : Moonlight Mile

Moonlight Mile by Dennis Lehane. William Morrow, 2010. (Published November 2)

[Source: HarperCollins]

Moonlight Mile is the sixth installment in Dennis Lehane's Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro series. However, it can be considered a sequel to the third title in the series, Gone, Baby, Gone. Moonlight Mile occurs twelve years after Gone, Baby, Gone, and Amanda McCready has again gone missing. Beatrice McCready once again approaches Patrick for help in finding her niece. Beyond that, Moonlight Mile is quite different from Gone, Baby, Gone. Patrick and Angie are now married with a child of their own. Angie is no longer in the business, and Patrick tries to avoid any cases with a violent twist. In a sort of seeking redemption kind of way, Patrick takes on Amanda McCready's case, but this time the police aren't involved at all.

I didn't enjoy Moonlight Mile as much as Gone, Baby, Gone. I read to escape reality. For that reason, I don't particularly enjoy when my fiction feels just like the present. Lehane adds elements of our current economic downturn that brought me a little too close to reality for my taste. Moonlight Mile also felt a little slow going at first in comparison to Gone, Baby, Gone.

All that said, I'm really just nit-picking. I still had that moment where things started coming together and I actually said "wow" out loud. Moonlight Mile is a good book. I just preferred Gone, Baby, Gone. If you enjoy Lehane's writing and are a fan of the Kenzie and Gennaro series, I certainly wouldn't deter you from reading Moonlight Mile.

Related post:
Review : Gone, Baby, Gone

1 comment:

  1. I really like Lehane's work, so I'm looking forward to this book.

    ReplyDelete