Monday, December 20, 2010

Review : My Reading Life

My Reading Life by Pat Conroy. Nan A. Talese/Doubleday, 2010. (published November 2)

[Source : Publisher]

I truly loved this book. Though only one chapter is identified as a love letter, the entire book is full of them. My Reading Life is Pat Conroy's tribute to the people, places, and books that have shaped his reading and writing life. These tributes are sprinkled with beautiful turns of phrase and heartfelt emotions that brought me to tears on several occasions. Conroy's love for his mother is palpable in the opening essay. The first real tears I shed, however, were during an essay titled "The Teacher." The impact one teacher can have on a life is enormous.

It feels as if Conroy hides nothing of himself in this book. He bears all. I've never read a book by Conroy so I was initially shocked by his candor regarding his relationship with his father. Of course, I soon realized he's written an entire book about it (The Great Santini).

You do have to be careful about some literary spoilers if you haven't read all the great classics. I accidentally learned who dies in several books I've been intending to read. There are also essays that talk about Gone with the Wind and Look Homeward, Angel. I haven't read either of these books, and the Gone with the Wind essay goes particularly in depth. It was my least favorite in the entire book, but I blame that on my own ignorance, not Pat Conroy's writing.

I am rarely moved to buy a copy of a book after reading the ARC, but I will definitely be purchasing a copy of this to treasure. I'm also looking forward to delving into Conroy's earlier books. If you share my love of reading, you will most definitely enjoy this book. I encourage you to go get it now.

This is my second read for the Okra Picks Challenge hosted by Bermudaonion. I'm still a Goober!

1 comment:

  1. I think this is the first review I've read of this book and you've made me really excited about it!

    ReplyDelete