Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday : Books I Hope Santa Brings


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's list is Top Ten Books I hope Santa brings.

iubookgirl's top ten (in no particular order):

1. The Sherlockian by Graham Moore
I've heard great things about this book on Twitter and have read a couple of reviews from bloggers (S. Krishna's Books and We Be Reading). Bibliomysteries are also among my very favorites to read.

2. A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
This is another one I've heard nothing but good things about. I read Egan's novel, The Keep, and loved it. I also think she's a really nice person after attending a reading when she was out promoting The Keep.

3. Harry Potter Film Wizardry by Brian Sibley
Jen at Devourer of Books turned me on to this one with her review. It sounds like the perfect complement to my existing collection of Harry Potter books and movies.

4. Room by Emma Donoghue
Though I think it will be really hard for me to read, I know I need to do it. Having it presented by Santa would only increase my sense of obligation.

5. Great House by Nicole Krauss
I'm intrigued by the description of this book. Plus, it has gotten a lot of recognition from critics and bloggers alike. I have The History of Love on my TBR shelf already, and it would be nice to add this.

6. Running the Books: The Adventures of an Accidental Prison Librarian by Avi Steinberg
Being a librarian myself, I always enjoy reading about the experiences of other librarians, especially when they sound as intriguing as this. I was also encouraged by the review is received from The Boston Bibliophile.

7. Mr. Toppit by Charles Elton
Another bibliolit entry. I just can't resist this kind of book.

8. The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman
This sounds like a fun story about a set of journalistic misfits. I also like the added element about the state of newspapers today.

9. Serpent in the Thorns and The Demon's Parchment by Jeri Westerson
I enjoyed the first entry in Jeri Westerson's Crispin Guest series, Veil of Lies, so I'd like to catch up on the series.

10. The Oxford Companion to the Book
The price tag makes this completely unrealistic, but I would absolutely love to have it.

What books are on your Christmas wishlist?

9 comments:

  1. These are some great books. I hope Santa brings them all for you. Even the $300 one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got three of these in my queue at the library...if they would only get these processed!

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/12/top-ten-books-i-hope-santa-brings.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What books am I hoping to get from Santa?

    1. Hunger Games triology box set by Suzanne Collins
    2. Millennium/Girl with the Dragon Tattoo box set by Stieg Larsson
    3. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
    4. Matched by Ally Condie
    5. Vampire Academy box set by Richelle Mead
    6. Of Thee I Sing by President Barack Obama
    7. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
    8. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
    9. Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks
    10. Strange Fate by L.J. Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh ... THe Oxford Companion to the Book looks intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just went and checked out The Sherlockian. That one sounds fabulous! Here's my list for Santa: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2010/12/top-ten-tuesday-wishlist-for-santa.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your list. There are a lot of interesting reads there. My list is here if you're interested: http://bookworm-meags222.blogspot.com/2010/12/top-ten-tuesdays-5-dear-santa-please.html
    Happy Holidays and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Oxford Companion to the Book? I want.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It *is* a great list. Thanks for including me on it. Maybe Santa will supply. But barring that, I'd be happy to send you and anyone else who wants one or three, a signed bookplate for those books. Just email me at jeriwesterson [at] gmail [dot] com.

    Happy reading and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your list--hope Santa is paying attention. Running the Books was fantastic--I thought my job as a high school teacher was challenging!

    ReplyDelete