Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Reading challenge : A to Z


So I was supposed to be done signing up for challenges, but then I came across the A to Z Challenge. It sounds like fun, and I'm planning to do a lot of reading this year so I think I can come close to finishing this. I've signed up for the Authors & Titles, which means I'm committing to reading 52 books for this challenge. Here's what I have so far in terms of a plan.

Titles
About a Boy by Nick Hornby
Bloodline by Mark Billingham
Catch Me: Kill Me by William H. Hallahan
Delirious by Daniel Palmer
Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman
Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris
Guilt by Association by Marcia Clark
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
Indiana, Indiana by Laird Hunt
Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby
K
Long Way Home by Bill Barich
Mr. White's Confession by Robert Clark
New Orleans Mourning by Julie Smith
Otherwise Pandemonium by Nick Hornby
Peregrine by William Bayer
Q
Rock Bottom by Michael Shilling
So Cold the River by Michael Koryta
(The) Trinity Six by Charles Cumming
U
(A) Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
(The) Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown
X
Y
Z

Authors
Abbott, Karen. Sin in the Second City
Berry, Steve. The Third Secret
Cowell, Stephanie. Claude & Camille
Dickens, Charles. A Tale of Two Cities
Ellroy, James. The Black Dahlia
Fitzgerald, F. Scott. The Great Gatsby
Glass, Julie. Three Junes
Harper, Karen. Mistress Shakespeare
Izner, Claude. Murder on the Eiffel Tower
J
Kent, Kathleen. The Wolves of Andover
Lethem, Jonathan. Motherless Brooklyn
MacKinnon, Amy. Tethered
Nicholls, David. One Day
O
Pybus, Cassandra. The Woman Who Walked to Russia
Q
Rubenfeld, Jed. The Death Instinct
Smith, Tom Rob. The Secret Speech
Thomas, Ross. Briarpatch
U
Vonnegut, Kurt. Slaughterhouse-Five
Woodrell, Daniel. The Bayou Trilogy
X
Y
Zafon, Carlos Ruis The Angel's Game

Do you have suggestions to fill the gaps? I'd love to hear them!

7 comments:

  1. Off the top of my head, I can think of The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Have you read that? Also, I just saw a great review of Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken. It's a non-fiction book about a WWII hero. Just a couple of ideas! Enjoy the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful "Y" title would be YOU KNOW WHEN THE MEN ARE GONE by Siobhan Fallon. You could always read (the) UNDOMESTIC GODDESS by Sophie Kinsella for a very light hearted "U" title. For a "J" author I can't suggest Rona Jaffe's THE BEST OF EVERYTHING highly enough - it's an INCREDIBLE novel based in publishing in NYC in the 1950's. Please please read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seconding You Know When the Men Are Gone. So good.

    Thinking there are likely good Chinese authors in translation whose last names start with Q and X, but all I can think of are Yu Hua and Ha Jin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bordain was totally fascinating and fun. If you can track down a copy of the audiobook (read by Bordain), it's even better! The Unnameables by Ellen Booraem is a strange but really good YA dystopia. And for Z I loved the anthology Zombies vs. Unicorns edited by Holly Black. Thoroughly silly, but also totally fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to agree with the suggestion of You Know When the Men Are Gone. I just finished reading it and it was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the amazing recommendations everyone!

    ReplyDelete