Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday : Books I Resolve to Read in 2011

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's list is the Top Ten Books I Resolve to Read in 2011.

I have a ton of books on my TBR pile, not to mention my TBR list, that I really want to tackle this year. My picks for this week's Top Ten Tuesday are representative of books I've had for over a year that I'm resolved to either read or get rid of in 2011. (Titles are linked to LibraryThing records or my reviews.)

1. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Dell, 1991.
I'm ashamed to say that I've never read this Vonnegut classic despite the fact that he is from my home state of Indiana. I'm extra motivated to read it this year because it fulfills one of the categories for the What's in a Name 4 reading challenge.

2. The Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith. Grand Central Publishing, 2009.
I really enjoyed the first entry in this series, Child 44. Number three is coming out in 2011, so I need to catch up!

3. The Danish Girl by David Ebershoff. Viking, 2000.
I bought this after reading The 19th Wife, which I loved. It's time to see if I enjoy Ebershoff's previous work as well.

4. When You are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris. Little, Brown, 2008.
The Occasional Reader loves David Sedaris, but I've never read any of his books. I think I'll really like him too.

5. Tethered by Amy MacKinnon. Shaye Areheart Books/Random House, 2008.
I acquired this back in 2008. It came up on Twitter a couple of months ago, and my Twitter buddies assured me I'd love it.

6. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. Ballantine, 2009.

7. Mistress Shakespeare by Karen Harper. G. P. Putnam's Sons, 2009.

8. The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Doubleday, 2009.
As numbers six through 8 show, I'm a little behind on my historical fiction reading.

9. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Scribner, 1999.
Another classic that I need to scratch of the TBR list. Why haven't I read this??

10. Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris. Harper Perennial, 2002.
I picked this up at an ALA conference in 2008. I like Joanne Harris and can't believe I've left this on the shelf for so long. The Blue Bookcase recently posted a review, which reminded me that I have it.

Are there any books on this list you think I should just pack off to Half-Price Books?

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't get into Tethered and passed it on, but I have three of your other books waiting for me on my TBR pile: The Danish Girl, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and Five Quarters of the Orange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything by David Sedaris is great! I want to read The Secret Speech too, since I really enjoyed Child 44.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet either last year or the year before, and loved it. I also love Joanne Harris; have read everything of hers, with one or two exceptions.
    Five Quarters of the Orange is one that I read this year as part of my clear off your shelves personal challenge. I liked it, but it wasn't one of my favorites of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. Great story! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Slaughterhouse-Five years ago and liked it, but I like Vonnegut. I know lots of people loved The Great Gatsby and I enjoyed the movie, but I couldn't get into the book.

    ReplyDelete