Friday, January 14, 2011

Weekly wrap-up : number twelve

The weekly wrap-up is my way of keeping my loyal readers informed of my bookish activities and holding myself to my bookish obligations. The questions may change slightly depending on the week.

Q: What are you reading right now?
A: High Fidelity by Nick Hornby


Q: Why are you reading it? Business? Pleasure? For review?
A: I'm reading it for pleasure. I've challenged myself to read/re-read all of Nick Hornby's novels this year.

Q: What was the last thing you read?
A: The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy. I read this for The Lost Entwife's January readalong. Because of the hours and hours of flying to and from San Diego, I finished it ahead of the schedule.


Q: What do you plan to read next?
A: The Death Instinct by Jed Rubenfeld


Q: Why do you want to read it?
A: I requested a review copy of this because I'm always looking for authors who can successfully blend fact and fiction to create an interesting historical story.

Q: What books did you acquire?
A: Okay, this is going to be quite a list! Even though I tried to be selective, I ended up picking up a lot of books at ALA. I scored some really great ARCs, including some I had previously requested and not gotten. The only thing I was hoping to find and didn't was an ARC of Bent Road by Lori Roy.

Here's a list of what I did get:
Caribou Island by David Vann
The Border Lords by T. Jefferson Parker
Mary Ann in Autumn by Armistead Maupin
This Book is Overdue! by Marilyn Johnson
The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino
Long Gone by Alafair Burke
The Complaints by Ian Rankin
The Inner Circle by Brad Meltzer
Lucifer's Tears by James Thompson
A Very Simple Crime by Grant Jerkins
Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
Breach of Trust by David Ellis
The Pope's Assassin by Luis Miguel Rocha
The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai
You Know When the Men are Gone by Siobhan Fallon
Moondogs by Alexander Yates
13 Rue Therese by Elena Mauli Shapiro
India Black by Carol K. Carr
Secrets from the Vinyl Cafe by Stuart McLean
The Track of Sand by Andrea Camilleri
Twenty-Five Books that Shaped America by Thomas C. Foster
The End of Everything by Megan E. Abbott
Charles Jessold, Considered as a Murderer by Wesley Stace
The Terror of Living by Urban Waite
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb by Melanie Benjamin
A Secret Kept by Tatiana De Rosnay (audiobook)

Q: What bookish events did you attend?
A: I attended the American Library Association Midwinter Meeting from January 7-10. Since my primary role at the conference is librarian and not book blogger, I generally don't have the opportunity to attend the amazing author events. Instead, I mostly attend meetings that would probably bore most of you to tears. As you can see from the list of books acquired this week, I did find time to go to the exhibit hall. On Saturday, I stumbled upon T. Jefferson Parker signing copies of his new novel and was able to meet him. I met Marilyn Johnson on Sunday thanks to a tweet from @bookclubgirl letting everyone know about her signing. Later, I actually me @bookclubgirl herself! It's always fun to put faces with those Twitter names.

I didn't get pictures of T. Jefferson Parker or Marilyn Johnson. I just wasn't thinking. Here are pictures of their books instead.

3 comments:

  1. Funny coincidence -- Wesley Stace (Charles Jessold, Considered) actually has a song on the High Fidelity soundtrack... "I'm Wrong About Everything" is the track, under his stage name John Wesley Harding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's totally crazy! Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great time; you certainly came home with some wonderful titles :)

    ReplyDelete