Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday : The Tiger's Wife

"Waiting on" Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly awaiting. My pick this week is...


The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht. Random House. To be published March 8, 2011.

I also featured this on my Top Ten Tuesday post of 2011 books I'm anticipating where I gave the same reasons for waiting on this book. The following description from Goodreads really intrigued me. As you all know, I enjoy a good mystery. Plus, I can trace part of my family to the Balkan region (specifically Serbia), so that's an added element of interest.
The time: the present. The place: a Balkan country ravaged by years of conflict. Natalia, a young doctor, is on a mission of mercy to an orphanage when she receives word of her beloved grandfather’s death far from their home under circumstances shrouded in confusion. Remembering childhood stories her grandfather once told her, Natalia becomes convinced that he spent his last days searching for "the deathless man," a vagabond who claimed to be immortal. As Natalia struggles to understand why her grandfather, a deeply rational man, who go on such a farfetched journey, she stumbles across a clue that leads her to the extraordinary story of the tiger’s wife.
Only 13 more days to wait!

1 comment: