Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday : Books I had to buy...but are still sitting on my bookshelf


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.

I'm actually a week behind. This week's topic is Top Ten Dynamic Duos, but I prefer last week's topic and didn't have a chance to do it. Please forgive my tardiness and blatant disregard for the rules. Here are my top ten books I had to buy...but are still sitting on my bookshelf.

iubookgirl's list (in no particular order):

CivilWarLand in Bad Decline: Stories and a Novella by George Saunders. Riverhead Books, 1997.
I went to see a reading by Mr. Saunders without any intention of buying a book. However, I found him so funny and engaging that I had to buy something.

The Sherlockian by Graham Moore. Twelve, 2010.
I read so many wonderful reviews of this book last fall that I couldn't resist adding it to my TBR pile.

Bicycle Diaries by David Byrne. Viking, 2009.
I love Talking Heads. David Byrne is completely fascinating. When I saw this book featured at my local indie bookstore, Big Hat Books and Arts, I had to buy it.

Slam by Nick Hornby. G.P. Putnam's Sons, 2007.
I don't typically read young adult fiction, but Nick Hornby is one of my favorite authors. These two facts  account for both my purchase and the fact that I haven't read it yet. I will, however, be reading it this year as part of my personal Nick Hornby Reading Challenge.

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Dell, 1991.
I am totally embarrassed to admit that I've never read anything by Kurt Vonnegut. What makes this truly horrible is that I am an Indiana native just like Mr. Vonnegut. Here's hoping I fit this one into my reading schedule this year.

The Danish Girl by David Ebershoff. Viking, 2000.
I ran out and bought this after reading Ebershoff's The 19th Wife, which I thought was fabulous. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to read this earlier work yet.

Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson. William Morrow, 2006.
This book appealed to the history student in me. I know it is good and I know there is already a follow-up. I'll get to it someday.

Misfortune by Wesley Stace. Little, Brown, 2005.
I picked up Stace's Charles Jessold, Considered as a Murderer at the ALA Midwinter Meeting in January. A commenter clued me in to the fact that Wesley Stace is also musician John Wesley Harding. I started looking at his website and thought the description of Misfortune was both weird and fascinating.

The Instructions by Adam Levin. McSweeney's, 2010.
I read some interesting things about this book, but haven't had the nerve to crack open this chunkster yet.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Scribner, 1999.
Last year, the Occasional Reader and I read To Kill a Mockingbird as our classic of the year. The Great Gatsby is our pick for this year, so I'll finally be able to move it off the TBR pile.

1 comment:

  1. I would have trouble narrowing it down to ten. I went out and bought 3 books today and who knows when I'll get them read.

    ReplyDelete