Monday, June 13, 2011

Review : Whip Hand

Whip Hand by Dick Francis. Berkley, 2005. (Originally published 1980)

[Source: Purchased]

1981 Edgar Award Winner for Best Novel

Whip Hand is the second installment in Francis’ Sid Halley series and my fourth read for the Edgar Awards Reading Challenge. Sid Halley is a clever guy. Once a celebrated jockey, an injury has put him on the sidelines. He remains a part of the horse racing world by becoming an investigator for friends from his former life. Despite no background as a PI, Halley has taken to it like a fish in water.

In Whip Hand, Halley is approached by the wife of a horse owner to investigate possible sabotage of her husband’s horses. A series of horses expected to win big have suddenly fallen ill and been left unable to race. She thinks it is anything but coincidence. Halley’s search for the truth quickly becomes dangerous. The final twist will leave you awed by Sid’s deductive ability.

In all honesty, I didn’t anticipate liking this book. The theme of horse racing doesn’t hold appeal for me. I was pleasantly surprised. I would definitely read the other Sid Halley books. I don’t think reading Whip Hand requires having read the first in the series, Odds Against, so if you’re intrigued, go ahead and pick it up.

Related post:
Reading challenge :  Edgar Awards

Amazon Associate link:
Whip Hand
Odds Against

1 comment:

  1. I've never picked this book up because I didn't think horse racing would appeal to me either. Maybe I should rethink that.

    ReplyDelete