Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Review : The Hand that Trembles

The Hand that Trembles by Kjell Eriksson. Minotaur Books, 2011.

[Source: LibraryThing Early Reviewers]

The Hand that Trembles is the fourth in Eriksson’s Ann Lindell series, but I felt pretty comfortable reading it without having read the previous installments. There are multiple story lines in this crime novel - mainly the reappearance of a Swedish county commissioner in Bangalore, India, who was presumed dead and a mysterious severed foot found near the remote community of Bultudden. Ann Lindell is responsible for solving the case of the severed foot. Eriksson develops interesting characters and well-constructed plot lines. As simple as the stories may seem, they involve numerous players that leave you wondering where the truth lies.

The Scandinavians are really flooding the American market in the wake of Stieg Larsson’s success. I see the appeal. The Hand that Trembles, like all the others I’ve read, have a distinct psychological element to the narrative that enhances the crime story. Also like most Scandinavian crime novels I’ve read in the last year or two, the pace is slow, but the payoff seems worth it in the end. Even though I tend to struggle a bit with the pacing of the first 100-200 pages and tell myself no more Scandinavian crime novels, the final push and resolution always leaves me ready to jump back into the Scandinavian milieu. If you’ve become a fan of the Scandinavian crime novel or Ann Lindell specifically, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed by The Hand that Trembles.

Buy The Hand the Trembles from Powell's or Amazon.com.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't tried a Scandinavian crime novel yet. I'm so out of it!

    ReplyDelete