Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2011 fourth quarter favorite

I decided to spotlight my favorite book of each quarter of 2011 partially to let you know my clear favorites and partially to help me pick my favorite book when the year ended. In 4Q 2011, I read 33 books.

I considered skipping naming a favorite for the fourth quarter. As I reviewed the list of books I read, none of them really jumped out at me as in the previous quarters. Perhaps I just waited to long to reflect on my reading. There are, however, of few books of note that I think deserve a mention, all of which fall outside my normal mystery reading.

I enjoyed the writing style and the story in The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides. I was participating in a readalong and found it difficult to stay on the schedule rather than reading straight through, which I think is a sign of a good book.


I have fond childhood memories of watching The Scarlet Pimpernel with my mom (the version with Jane Seymour), but had never read the book. I found out my movie version actually takes elements from several of the Pimpernel books not just its namesake. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the book and am glad I finally read it.


Finally, a non-fiction pick. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain really made me think. Reading Quiet was an opportunity for self-reflection. I am most definitely an introverted person and Cain taught me something about myself and those close to me. For the first time, I realized the difference between introversion and shyness.


Buy The Marriage Plot from Powell's or Amazon.com.
Buy The Scarlet Pimpernel from Powell's or Amazon.com.
Buy Quiet from Powell's or Amazon.com.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read The Marriage Plot! And I'm considering joining the Edgar Awards Challenge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I hope you'll join the challenge.

      Delete